March 16, 2023 (LOS ANGELES) – The LA Sports Council, the region’s premier sports trade association, celebrated the 2022 athlete, coach, and executive honorees and unveiled the Top 10 Sports Moments of the year during the 18th Annual LA Sports Awards on Spectrum SportsNet.
Produced by Spectrum Networks, the annual awards showcased the best in LA sports. The proceeds benefit the LA Sports Council Foundation and the LA Sports Council’s community program, Ready, Set, Gold!.
The LA Sports Council’s 18th Annual LA Sports Awards honorees include:
• Sportsperson of the Year: Chloe Kim, USA Snowboarding
• Sportsperson of the Year: Cristian “Chicho” Arango, Los Angeles Football Club
• Coach of the Year: Lincoln Riley, USC Football
• Executive of the Year: Kevin Demoff, Los Angeles Rams
• Community Athlete of the Year: Justin Turner, Los Angeles Dodgers
• Lifetime Achievement Award: Lisa Leslie, Los Angeles Sparks
• Ready, Set, Gold! Athlete of the Year: Natália Mayara, Brazil Wheelchair Tennis
A key component of the annual broadcast is the unveiling of the Top 10 Sports Moments of 2022. Thousands of fans voted online to help select the number one moment, with the LA Rams winning Super Bowl 56 at SoFi Stadium over Cincinnati being crowned the number one moment of 2022—just edging out LAFC’s MLS Cup victory.
The full ranking of the Top 10 Moments presented by Jim Beam include:
1. LA Rams win Super Bowl 56 at SoFi Stadium over Cincinnati
2. LAFC wins MLS Cup over Philadelphia Union
3. USC QB Caleb Williams wins the Heisman Trophy
4. Dodgers set a franchise record with 111 regular season wins
5. LeBron James moves into 2nd place on NBA All-Time scoring list
6. Angel City FC plays inaugural season and wins regular season opener vs North Carolina at Banc of California Stadium
7. Shohei Ohtani finishes 2nd in AL MVP after another historic season
8. UCLA wins Women’s Soccer National Championship rallying late to beat #1 North Carolina in the title game
9. Chargers acquire Khalil Mack
10. (Tie) USC wins 2022 Women’s NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship and St. John Bosco Football Wins High School National Championship
“We are proud to celebrate and recognize the incredible achievements of LA’s top athletes, teams, coaches, and executives at this year’s LA Sports Awards,” said LA Sports Council President David Siegel. “As we look back on 2022, we are reminded of the power of sports to unite, inspire, and bring joy to our city—and that LA is the greatest sports city in the world. We look forward to another year of world-class sports in our city and hosting the show again next year.”
The LA Sports Awards is presented by the Los Angeles Sports Council Foundation 501(c)3 with a portion of the proceeds benefitting Ready, Set, Gold!, a community health, fitness and social and emotional learning program that promotes healthy and active lifestyles to children in Southern California schools.
For a list of re-airs of the 18th Annual LA Sports Awards produced by Spectrum SportsNet, visit spectrumsportsnet.com/schedule.
About the LA Sports Council
Founded in 1988, the LA Sports Council is the premier sports trade association in the Los Angeles region. As champions of the Los Angeles sports community, the LA Sports Council acts as the connective thread of the industry and unites the greatest sports community in the world. For more information, visit lasports.org.
About Ready, Set, Gold!
Founded in 2006, Ready, Set, Gold! is a community health, fitness and social and emotional learning program that promotes healthy and active lifestyles to children in Southern California schools. RSG! is a public-private partnership between the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games (SCCOG), The Foundation for Global Sports Development, and several public-school districts. RSG! believes that every student should have equal access to resources that support physical health and academic achievement. For more information, visit readysetgold.net.