LOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE
4961 Katella Avenue
Los Alamitos, California 90720
Telephone: (714) 820-2800
Horse Racing facility (opened 1951)
About Los Alamitos Race Course
The Southern California home to Quarter Horse racing, Los Alamitos offers racing all year round on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. In addition, racing for Thoroughbreds, Arabian, Paint and Appaloosas is held.
The facility opened in 1951 and was the first race track in California to have a pari-mutuel Quarter Horse meet. Racing originally began on the site in 1947 when it was a part of Frank Vessels' ranch. It is currently owned and operated by Ed Allred, the all-time leading breeder of quarter horses. Thoroughbred racing at the facility began in 1994.
"Los Al" has a 5/8ths of a mile track surrounding a 300,000 sq.ft. infield. There is grandstand seating for 6,500, although there is lots of standing room. The all-time attendance record is 19,970, set on May 6, 1983.
•Location and parking:
Los Alamitos is located in the City of Los Alamitos, two miles east of the San Gabriel River (605) Freeway in northern Orange County.
The facility is owned and operated by Ed Allred. Inquiries concerning use of the facility should be directed to Director of Marketing Orlando Gutierrez at (714) 820-2690 or by fax to (714) 820-2689.
The five-furlong track is made of red brick and clay and calcium chlorate. It is well lit for television and there are three locker rooms on-site. Accommodations for horses include 1,400 stalls.
The grandstand includes 3,900 seats plus 1,800 in the clubhouse area and 800 in the Vessels Club (named for course founder Frank Vessels) for a total of 6,500. Spectator amenities are plentiful and include 10,000 parking spaces, five ticket booths, seven permanent food service areas in the grandstand complex and more than 1,300 television monitors throughout the facility. The Vessels Club was added in 1995 and has won awards for culinary excellence. Visitors will also enjoy the Charger Bar sports bar.
There is a press box atop the grandstands and a first aid station on the ground level.