Chair: Tony Sciarrino
In October 2017, Tony Sciarrino was elected Chairman of the Sports Council, succeeding Karen Brodkin (2013-17) and becoming only the fifth person to hold the title of Chairman since the inception of the Sports Council in 1988.
Sciarrino previously served as a Vice-Chair on the Sports Council’s 78-member Board.
Tony is the Global Client Acquisition Executive for Global Commercial Banking at Bank of America Merrill Lynch. In his role, he’s responsible for leading, driving and managing new client acquisition activity in the United States and Canada.
He has a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration in Finance from the University of San Diego.
Sciarrino resides in Manhattan Beach with his wife Christine and three children, where he enjoys being actively involved in youth sports.
President: David Simon
From the halls of government to the fields of America's greatest stadia, David Simon has managed the agendas of high-profile government officials, Olympic organizers and the Los Angeles Sports Council.
Simon helped to create the Sports Council in 1987 and 1988 and has served as its President ever since. Under his leadership, the Sports Council has brought events to Southern California with an economic impact of more than $1 billion, while expending just $12 million in administrative expense! In addition, the Sports Council Foundation has provided thousands of underprivileged Southern California youngsters with opportunities to attend college and professional football games since 1993, offering entertainment and a glimpse of the attractions of collegiate life.
Simon's career in sports started auspiciously, as one of the earliest hires of Los Angeles Olympic Organizing Committee President Peter Ueberroth in 1979. During the course of five years in the organization of the most revolutionary Games of the modern era, Simon rose to the rank of Vice President/Government Relations, coordinating the organizing effort with the needs of dozens of government entities on the local, state, federal and international level.
Following the Games, Simon joined the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce as Senior Vice President. Noting that Southern California sites were being consistently overlooked as a site for other major events, he developed a concept for a volunteer sports and business committee that would act as a single point of contact for bringing special events to the area. After winning the bid to bring the 1991 U.S. Olympic Festival to Los Angeles, the fledgling group helped to bring together three Southern California venues that were bidding against each other, as well as against other cities, to host the NFL's 1993 Super Bowl. By offering a single, unified proposal from the area, offering a choice of venues, the Sports Council helped to impress the NFL and the Rose Bowl was ultimately selected to host the 1993 game. The group prospered under the leadership of Simon as President and the late John C. Argue, the man principally responsible for bringing the 1984 Olympic Games to Los Angeles, as Founding Chairman.
His efforts did not go unnoticed, as the United States Olympic Committee appointed Simon as chair of its International Relations Committee. He served with distinction in that voluntary role from 1988 through 1999, when he resigned to head the Los Angeles effort to bid for the 2012 Olympic Games.
A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of UCLA, Simon served on the staff of then-U.S. Representative Yvonne Braithwaite Burke from 1977-1978. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife Cheryl and daughter Lisa.
Sports Council directors are elected for a period of two years and are selected from the business and sports community in Southern California. Sports Council directors also serve on the Sports Council Foundation.
- Dave Allen, President, Auto Club Speedway
- Joshua Anderson, Partner, Sidley Austin LLP
- Dan Beckerman, President & CEO, AEG
- Gary R. Birkenbeuel, Ernst & Young LLP (Ret.)
- Christopher D. Brearton, Chief Operating Officer, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.
- John Boyle, President & CEO, Automobile Club of Southern California
- Rhonda Brauer, RBrauer Consulting
- Jeanie Buss, Executive Vice President, Los Angeles Lakers
- Jack Caress, President, Pacific Sports LLC
- Fred Claire, Board of Directors, Rose Bowl Operating Company
- Dale Coleman, Vice President, Fairplex
- Judi M. Cordray, Vice President/General Manager, ESPN
- Kevin Demoff, Chief Operating Officer & Executive Vice President, Los Angeles Rams
- Michelle DeMott
- *Ann Meyers Drysdale, Broadcaster, ESPN
- James L. Easton, Chairman, Easton-Bell Sports
- *Janet Evans-Wilson
- Dennis A. Farrell, Commissioner, Big West Conference
- *Lisa Fernandez, UCLA Assistant Softball Coach
- Dan Finnerty, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Spectrum Sports Networks
- Robert French, Director-Regional Sales, United Airlines
- Nicole Duckett Fricke, General Counsel & Vice President, Los Angeles Clippers
- Daniel G. Guerrero, Director of Athletics, UCLA
- Russell A. Hagey, Partner & Managing Director, Bain & Company, Inc.
- Bill Hanway, Executive Vice President and Global Sports Leader, AECOM
- Daniel M. Hartman
- Jeffrey Hill, Partner & Managing Director, The Boston Consulting Group
- *Rafer Johnson, Founding Chair, Special Olympics Southern California
- Dave Klewan, General Manager, Tiger Woods Foundation and Genesis Open
- Andrew W. Knox, Managing Director, Chelsea Partners
- Dennis Kuhl, Chairman, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
- Craig Levra
- Seth Makowsky, CEO, Makowsky Restaurant Group
- Jeffrey Marks, CEO, Innovative Partnerships Group
- Patrick McClenahan, President and CEO, Goodwill Southern California
- *John Moffet, President, Southern California Olympians & Paralympians Assn.
- Robert F. Murray, General Manager, Anaheim Ducks
- *John Naber, Naber & Associates
- Thomas G. Nussbaum, Partner, KPMG LLP
- *Apolo Anton Ohno
- William H. O'Brien, President & GM, West Operating Unit, Coca-Cola Refreshments
- Bryan Palbaum, President and COO, Trader Joe’s
- Gerald S. Papazian, Managing Director, Fountainhead Associates, Inc.
- Rick Parent, Managing Director, Gumbiner Savett Inc.
- Joan A. Payden, President & CEO, Payden & Rygel
- Tom Penn, President, Los Angeles Football Club
- Greg Penske, President & CEO, Penske Motor Group
- Richard B. Perelman, President, Perelman, Pioneer & Co.
- Jeffrey Pollack, Special Advisor, Los Angeles Chargers
- Bruce Ramer, Partner, Gang, Tyre, Ramer & Brown
- Murphy Reinschreiber, Chief Operating Officer, Conqur Endurance Group
- David B. Rogers, Majestic Holdings LLC
- Timothy Romer, Managing Director, Goldman Sachs
- Rick Rosas, Tax Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Lon Rosen, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Tim J. Ryan, President & CEO, Honda Center
- J. Eugene Salomon, Jr., Partner, Gang, Tyre, Ramer & Brown
- Frank M. Sanchez, Owner/Operator, McDonald's Restaurants
- Barry A. Sanders, Chairman, Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games
- Bill Shumard, President & CEO, Southern California Special Olympics
- Christine Simmons, President, Los Angeles Sparks
- Renata Simril, CEO, LA84 Foundation
- Amy K. Stanton, Founder & CEO, Stanton & Company, LLC
- Marc I. Stern, Chairman, The TCW Group, Inc.
- Dan Stimmler, Chief Operating Officer, L.A. Memorial Coliseum and Sports Arena
- William E. Thomson, Jr., AAF Rose Bowl Aquatics Center
- Robert D. Thun, Senior Vice President, Content & Programming, AT&T Entertainment Group
- Gary L. Toebben, President & CEO, Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce
- Ronald Turner, Gensler Sports
- David Ulich, President, Foundation for Global Sports Development
Ex-officio members of the Board include:
- Robert S. Rollo, Heidrick & Struggles (Ret.)
- Gene D. Block, Chancellor, UCLA
- Margaret U. Farnum, L.A. Memorial Coliseum Commission (Ret.)
- Richard J. Foster, Past President, U.S. Aquatic Sports
- Franklin R. Johnson, Board Member, International Tennis Federation
- C.L. Max Nikias, President, USC
- Claire L. Rothman
- David Simon, President
- Ben Stilp, Controller
- Mark Meyers, Director of Communications
- Monica Maldonado, Director of Special Events
- Mona Green, Executive Assistant & Office Manager
Top of Page